We’re stuck indoors while another polar vortex/arctic blast whips through. To avoid going stir crazy with my five year old I perform two of my favorite tasks: purging and rearranging. My daughter loves it because she thinks I’m making furniture forts in the middle of the room just for her. It’s a win win.
But it’s not just a busy activity. The process of purging, rearranging, cleaning and balancing gets the chi flowing. And flowing chi is energizing. Who doesn’t need a dose of that on a gray and blustery day.
Here are my top ten favorite ways to invigorate a room:
10. Deep clean. It is so effective in changing a room’s energy. Don’t just wipe down bookshelves: dust every book, picture frame, knick knack, and then wipe down the entire cabinet. While you’re at it, toss the used paperbacks in a bag to give to your local charity. Wash floors underneath the rugs. Clean the webs from the corners. Prune dead leaves from plants. You get the idea.
9. Purge. Rid surface areas and drawers of unwanted mail, old magazines, paid bills, stacks of school artwork. Find places for the things you want to keep (file cabinets, poster boards) and toss the rest. Get rid of clutter. It takes up too much energy to ignore it.
8. Vacuum. Kinda goes with #10 but without the deep clean. A simple vacuum gets the carpets looking great again. Don’t forget to vacuum the couch and fluff the pillows.
7. Decorate with what you already have. Stack two or three books on that nicely cleaned surface and add a pretty bowl on top. Buy some inexpensive branches or flowers and display them in your prettiest vases. Arrange books so that some are stacked horizontally and others vertically. Grab a home decorating catalog, see how they do it, and replicate.
6. Rearrange furniture. Pull that sofa away from the wall and try using it on a diagonal in the room. Try a different seating setup in front of the TV. Try the rug on an angle. Put a narrow desk behind a sofa. Start seeing the room from a different angle.
5. Replace CFL bulbs with LEDs. Or halogens. Or incandescents. Anything but horrible CFLs. The colors in your room will change instantly.
4. Light candles.
3. Put on music.
2. Add pillows in bold patterns to sofas and/or chairs.
1. My favorite? Invite friends over. Friends, laughter, conversation: all this will elevate the chi instantly.